Thursday, May 22, 2014

no poo indeed!

 Ok, so today I decided, yet again, to challenge myself within the eco friendly world of beauty. With a quick trip to my pantry (so nice not having to make an extra trip to market when I already had all of these common household items at my humble abode) I jumped in the shower and got right to work! Mixing a Tablespoon of baking soda with a 1/2 cup of water and mixing in one of my recycled canning jars, I said "voila!" and on to my scalp I poured. Scrubbing mildly, not too rough or irritation will occur, I let the baking soda and H2O consistency set in my hair for 30 seconds, then rinsed. After this I spritzed Apple cider vinegar (a trick to creating your own Apple cider vinegar spritzer will be posted next time) on to the ends of my hair and let that sit while I finished up in the shower. Right before you get out, rinse the vinegar out, very well, might I add, otherwise your fiance will be asking what that certain bitter smell is coming from your locks! I found this out from trial and error 😊.
I add a teaspoon on coconut oil to the ends of my locks every other week or so, while in the shower, right after the vinegar stage. You have to get used to the feel of oiliness in your hair, because coconut oil will stick with your hair for a couple of no poo washes. If that is an issue use coconut oil more sparingly. I have a friend that used the no poo method for 4 months straight, loved it, but ended up stopping because abruptly dryness occured. Evidently, she was not using coconut oil, which I believe is a key ingredient to the smooth and shiny natural hair factor in this equation. I also love coconut oil because it has so many uses! So, after a few weeks of no pooing, I personally, have noticed that my oil levels are now  balancing out. For some, this could take a month or two for your hair 's oils to balance out, but stick with it and I believe your locks will end up healthier versus using a shampoo. While reading up on this method I also came across many testimonials in regards to noticing less split ends and faster growing hair...bonus!!! Also, another added benefit of no poo is Cheap Cheap Cheap! Finally, a cheap way to go green! All you have to do now is go for it! If you don't like it you can always go back to your normal routine. But I challenge you to take the 30 day no poo method!

No comments:

Post a Comment