Today I decided to can my first attempt at homemade applesauce and spiced sliced apples. Thanks to my future mother in-law, Jennifer, for giving me the book, Home Preserving, I have been mesmerized by all of the fun concoctions one can cook up and can, with great ease!! This fun little book has many attractive and interesting canning recipes. For example, who ever thought you could can apricot jalapeno preserves or rosemary concord grape juice. Crazy but delicious! I think yes!!
Two months ago I tried, and apparently succeeded, at canned homemade raspberry jam and since then have gifted the 12 little half pints out to a handful of friends and family to try. Each reply was remarkably the same, "your jam is TO DIE FOR!!! Please keep me on the list when you make more, so I can relish the sweet serenity, yet again!" And their was also the enthusiastic replies of "you need to bottle this stuff asap and sell it!" Due to the inflow of requests, I have began a new sweet potion, known to most consumers as: strawberry jam. This oh so easy recipe only calls for 2 lbs. of strawberries, (I prefer organic, since strawberries to tend to always make it on the top dirty dozen list of fruits that you should buy as organic), one cup of pure raw sugar, and I squeezed about 1/4 cup of lemon juice in, as well. The results were glorious as the all mighty taste tester, my fiance, tried it and passed it with flying colors, immediately!
Here are the results of my Saturday afternoon spent canning in the kitchen. Can't wait to try the homemade applesauce and spiced slice apples for dessert! Conclusion: truly and honestly anyone, I repeat, anyone CAN can a jar of delectable fruit jams, veggies, sauces, etc... My new favorite quote, by Galileo, states that "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them". So go out there and try! If at first you don't succeed then try, try again! Good luck and good day!



No comments:
Post a Comment