Sunday, February 2, 2014

An old English experience

We recently dined at the Farmer's Gastropub, an authentic English gastropub here in the states. The term "gastropub" is a "portmanteau of gastronomy and pub", a fairly recent British term. In fact, this very pub was voted "The Best Gastropub" outside of England, which enticed me even more. What I particularly enjoyed about this establishment was the passion for using local farm to table methods, from right here in the Ozarks. Their goat and other various cheeses come straight from Terrell Creek Farms, which was a lovely farm and spring that I traveled to as a little girl. My grandmother's estate is located just down the road from this farmstead, where my brother and I would visit and wade in their cool spring on hot summer days, catching minnows. I enjoy dining at a restaurant which creates both new and old memories to arise, good memories that is!
This gastropub also uses various organic vegetables/fruits/dairy products, and also utilizes hormone - free and grass-fed meats. I recently read that they also recycle everything they can and give left over food to a local farm, to reuse. They also provide compostable to-go containers, which I fully appreciate. The regular styrofoam that most restaurants use for their doggy bags contain very harsh chemicals. Never warm up leftovers in styrofoam, especially the microwave, because harmful toxins are released from the styrofoam into your food, YUCK!!!!!  
We had a warm goat cheese and apple butter concoction for our appetizer, served with warm crunchy bread from Artisan's Oven ( a local bread bakery), and for the main entree, my fiance had a grass-fed burger, and I, of course, had the veggie burger. They even served us the infamous smashed peas, which is what you would receive if you were eating at an authentic restaurant or gastropub in good old bloody England. All in all, the atmosphere was fun and vibrant and the food was interestingly unique and tasty. As one would say in England, this was the bees knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment