Sunday, February 2, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar soup warms the soul

Homemade broccoli cheddar soup has been an absolute hit in my household this past winter. It's super easy and anyone can do it. This literally takes me around 30 minutes to make. This soup is especially tasty on a cold winter's eve, and helps to warm the soul!
\
 Medium heat: add one diced yellow onion to a 1/2 stick of melted butter. I usually add at this time 6 cloves of minced garlic, but that is totally up to you. I appreciate the flavor that garlic gives this dish, but if you can't stand the taste, just omit it :)
 After 4 minutes of cooking and stirring, add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 cups half and half, 4 cups whole milk, 4 heads of broccoli (cut into small florets), and salt and pepper to taste. Stir up all the ingredients, so that they are mixed together, creating wonderful flavors! Bring the soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat to LO, and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally, so that the dairy products do not burn. Keep this up for 18-20 minutes.
 Now it's time for the best part, (drum roll!!!!) the cheese!! I use a mixture of all natural cheddar and Vermont white cheddar cheeses (grated)...some brands worked better than others for me....my favorite was the Sargento brand (2-3 cups of cheese, depending on how cheesy you like your soup)! Stir, Stir, Stir and do not, I repeat, DO NOT increase the temperature, otherwise the cheese will curd, or coagulate, which does not taste so good. This happened to me when I added my cheese to the pot when it was still simmering, and when this happens its not too appetizing to taste chunks of cheese. I like my soup smooth and creamy!! Once the cheese is melted, (about 2 minutes) the soup is ready to enjoy!!
And here is a cute little pineapple upside down cake my mother baked for my fiance and I the other night. This is one of my father's favorites, so when she had leftover batter, she decided to bake a mini cake for us! Delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment